Calling all aspiring artists! You are invited to apply for an opportunity to exhibit original art at the
40th Annual Ethnic Enrichment Festival. Selected artwork will be on display and for sale at the
African-American Culture Club booth at the annual festival August 16-18, 2019, in Swope Park
in Kansas City, MO.
A portion of the sales for the artwork will benefit the Leonard Pryor Scholarship Fund,
established in 2007 to provide financial assistance to students of color who wish to attend the
Kansas City Art Institute (KCAI).
The late Leonard Pryor was the first African-American student to attend and graduate from the
Kansas City Art Institute (KCAI). He was a protégé of the Kansas City muralist, Thomas Hart
Benton, in the late ‘30’s. Known as a loyal, encouraging mentor, Pryor taught drawing and
painting as a member of the extension faculty for almost a decade, then became the first African
American Academic Dean at KCAI.
Pryor also was a founding member of the Ethnic Enrichment Commission that sponsors the
Criteria for exhibit submissions:
- Subject or style representative of African-American culture or of the African diaspora
- Original matted art work (No larger than 16 x 20 inches)
- Artist’s statement is optional
- All art work must be submitted in individual plastic sleeves
Entrants must be:
- A high school student or an adult resident of the Kansas City metropolitan area (Missouri
- Available to volunteer for at least one three-hour shift at the African-American booth of
the 40th Annual Ethnic Enrichment Festival (August 16, 17 or 18, 2019, at Swope Park)
- Willing to donate 50% of the artwork proceeds to the Leonard Pryor Scholarship Fund
- Bring artwork to the African American booth for display on Fri. Aug.16 th from 2:30 pm –
4:00 pm., Sat. Aug.17 th from 9:30 -11:00 am and/or Sun. Aug.18 th from 9:30 – 11:00 am.
- Pick up all unsold artwork no later than Sunday Aug. 18 th at 6:00 pm.
The African-American Culture Club will select art pieces for display and notify applicants by July 31st.
The application deadline is July 17, 2019. If you are interested in participating or have
any questions, please contact Renee Newton, Chairperson of African-American Culture
Club and Commissioner for the African Americans, at Renee.Newton29@gmail.com or
leave a message at (816) 943-0250.